Friday, April 6, 2012

Onion Factory Ayurveda

I have been in tears all week.

I met Guruji in 1997. I was sitting in a corner and he looked fresh as a lotus - sitting in the centre of the stage of the old meditation hall. The floor was not laid and the pebble stones sometimes poked into your pelvis, deepening the meditation, so to say.

Art of living was not very big in those days. Not many people knew about Guruji. 10 people would come to the intro courses and about 30-40 to the advanced course if things went well.

On the first day of my first course, after the first meditation, he looked straight into my eyes and as uncontrollable tears welled up inside me, he silently gestured with a smile, "How have you been?".

In 1999, I moved to the US. In he came to the Rutgers University and I got in a long line to see him. He looked straight into my eyes, and as tears welled up uncontrollably in my eyes, he said with a smile, "Haan, Ajit! How have you been"?

Afterwards, I forgot all about him, he was a bit like background music in a restaurant. I would go to sleep with a vague idea of a gentle presence. I would wake up with the same gentle presence but the rest was all normal life.

In 2001, I landed in montreal for a meditation course, I was sitting right in the middle and he looked straight into my eyes, and as tears welled up uncontrollably in my eyes, he gestured with a smile, "How have you been"?

Since then, once in a while, I have had tears suddenly well up in the middle of singing, eating, studying, talking - they are a sign that all is well - that's why they just "well up". They are a sign of health. If they don't come for a while, that means I am becoming normal - harsh in speech, suspicious, accumulating, somewhat insensitive... dry; my singing no longer feels that good, holding a guitar feels not that useful, taking the kids to the park feels tiring. When they come, everything runs on autopilot - work, music, relationships with office colleagues, investing, programming, managing people, working with senior managers and clients, food, mathematics - there is no struggle - life moves like water through rocks. These tears are THE sign of health.

In 2012, I landed in Malaysia, just like that. In Kuala Lumpur, with a loving smile, he gestured, "How are you"?

I wept like any other full grown man would.





1 comment:

  1. Tears indeed are sign of abundance and gratitude but I have only known people to cry on 'investing' after making a loss. You seem to be crying after making a disproportionate profit. So please when you are on autopilot and investing next time, give us a tip.

    For the rest, we can only envy your health. Keep on crying. If we are lucky we too will be able to live with same intensity.

    ReplyDelete